Send Message

Under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP), people in Canada are allowed to bring foreign workers into the country to work as caregivers through special, separate immigration programs:

  • Home Child Care Provider Pilot Program & Home Support Worker Pilot Program
  • The Live-in Caregiver Program (LCP) (currently closed to new applicants)
  • In-Home Caregiver Programs (currently closed to new applicants): Caring for Children Program and Caring for People with High Medical Needs Program
  • Interim Pathway for Caregivers (currently closed to new applicants)
  • These Programs are run by Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). To be approved, both the employer and the caregiver must satisfy several criteria, as well as complete the application process.

The Live-in Caregiver Program

The Live-in Caregiver Program is closed to new applicants. You can only hire a caregiver through the program if you have:

  • found a caregiver who already has a work permit in the Live-in Caregiver Program and who is looking for a new employer, and
  • been approved for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) that shows the caregiver has agreed to live in your home