778-986-1874  | [email protected]

Immigrate to Canada as a Cook

Immigrate to Canada as a Cook

Thinking of moving to Canada as a cook, but don’t know where to start your Canadian immigration journey? We can help. Here are the most important steps you need to follow if you want to learn how to immigrate to Canada as a cook.

Make Sure Your Job Fits under NOC 6322

What is NOC 6322? NOC is the National Occupational Classification. Canada uses it to organize job titles under certain leveled categories. To help you understand if your job can be classified as a cook, here are some of the titles that it may fall under.

The following jobs are classified as NOC 6322:
Apprentice cook;
Dietary cook;
First cook;
Grill cook;
Hospital cook
Institutional cook;
Journeyperson cook;
Licensed cook;
Line cook;
Second cook; and
Short order cook

Apply to the Right Canadian Visa Program for You!

Of course, there is a lot more to consider when you apply for a visa because Canada has over 70 different immigration streams, programs and categories to apply for.  If you want to immigrate to Canada as a cook, you should take a look at the Federal Skilled Trades Program.  Under this program, you can immigrate in under three months. But of course, there are some requirements you need to meet. First, you must:

  • Have at least two years of paid work experience as a cook;
  • Have scored at least a 5 on the Canadian Language Benchmark for speaking and listening, and a 4 for writing and reading;
  • Have a valid job offer from a Canadian employer for at least one year;
  • Have passed high school and you must provide an ECA (Educational Credential Assessment);
  • Have scored high enough on the CRS (Comprehensive Ranking System) to get an Invitation to Apply;
  • Have a clear criminal record;
  • Have sufficient funds to support yourself in Canada; and
  • Be in good health, which can be proved through a medical exam

Another program you can use apply to Canada as a cook is the Express Entry British Columbia Skilled Worker program. This program is designed for NOC level B jobs. Applicants must have at least two years of valid work experience and be qualified in their occupation to use this program.   You must also make sure that you meet all of the basic requirements for one of the federal immigration programs and have enough funds to apply. If you apply as a single applicant, you must have at least CAD$23,659 in your account if you immigrate to anywhere in the province besides Alberta. If you immigrate with your partner, you will need at least CAD$29,087 in order to show the province that you can support yourself while you live in Canada. You will most likely be asked to produce a bank statement during your application to prove this. Please note that overdrafts or loans are not considered as sufficient funds.

Work Experience

You need at least two years of valid work experience to apply. This means that work experience must be for paid work, not as an unpaid intern or volunteer. Also, make sure that your work experience is within the past five years of your application, or you will miss out on the necessary requirements.

Language Tests Requirements?

Yes, successfully passing an accepted language test can make or break your application as a cook. There are two main language exams you can take. As an English speaker, you must apply for the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) or as a French speaker the TEF (Test d’evaluation). These tests are used to measure your ability in speaking, listening, writing and reading. Just make sure that you select the General test option for these exams, as the Academic option will not be accepted for immigration purposes.  Your language test will be valid for at least two years. Make sure you apply within the time limit or you will need to reapply again during your Canadian immigration application.

What is An ECA?

An Educational Credential Assessment is used to show that your educational qualifications are at the same standard as Canada’s. So if you studied outside of Canada, you must get an ECA. You can apply for this document on sites like World Education Services (WES), which will give you your completed evaluation within 20 working days.

Do You Need Additional Certification?

As a cook, you generally do not need to worry about trade certification, which is voluntary in all provinces and territories of Canada. But you can apply for something called the Red Seal Endorsement that allows qualified cooks to move and work between different provinces in the country. This happens if you successfully pass your interprovincial Red Seal examination

Completing Security Checks

One thing that all visa programs need is a Security Clearance Certificate. Generally, you can apply for this document in your local town or city. This document can normally be requested from your police station, embassy or from a police commissioner. The certificate is used to prove that you do not have a criminal record that would make you inadmissible to the country. Yes, something as simple as driving under the influence could have a huge impact on your application. This document will normally be requested after you receive an Invitation to Apply if you apply through the Express Entry system.

Are You in Good Health?

Another document you will need during the application process is a medical examination report. This means that you have to book an appointment with a Canadian certified doctor who belongs on the Canadian Board of Physicians, otherwise your report will be rejected. Please note that the results of your medical exam will only be valid for one year. You can find your closest registered doctor on the IRCC’s website, where their contact information, location and names will be listed.


On Key

Related Posts